Thursday 3 July 2014

Stunt Car Racer at 29x Speed

When I still owned my C65 I made a YouTube video of it running Stunt Car Racer to show how much faster the C65 is than a stock C64.  You can see it below:




Since the C65GS is now able to run some software, I thought I would try Stunt Car Racer out on it.

In the still image below we can see that it is working fairly well.  The vertical graphics glitches are a known problem with bitmap mode on the C65GS, and I will fix them in due course.


But the real question was how fast it would run.  I knew it ought to run quite fast, and that it lacks any vertical blank interlock, so it would run as fast as it possibly could.

Here is a few seconds of Stunt Car Racer running at Ludicrous Speed.  It goes without saying that it was entirely unplayable at this speed.



It looks like the CPU redesign I am doing should end up at 48MHz and somewhere between 30x and 50x C64 speed.  I'll have to post an update when I get to that point.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Paul,

    awesome work!
    Looking forward to the final product ;-)
    If I may ask: where did you get your C65 from back in the day?

    Cheers,

    Michael

    ReplyDelete